Sunday, April 29, 2018

Springtime On The Ol' Farmstead


Been busy lately.  Finding the time to get everything done is a challenge.  And just when I think that I might get caught up, I'll notice something else that needs to get done.  Sleep is also hard to come by right now.  This time of the year, it seems like I live in the barn, doing checks every two or three hours just in case a doe starts kidding and runs into trouble.  Usually they don't need help, but every now and then I'll have to go in and work a kid out.  There have been five kids born so far, with three, maybe four more does due to deliver over the next three weeks.    

Goslings are starting to hatch too.  So far I have four healthy little fuzzballs.  And did I mention the ducklings?  Instead of hatching ducks this year, I decided to add some new genes to my flock and bought 20 ducklings in March.  Yesterday, they were introduced to the great outdoors for the first time.  This included introducing them to the pond.  Watching ducklings discover the joys of a pond is always a pleasure.  

Meanwhile, I've been hauling manure to my vegetable gardens and starting to prepare the soil.  If everything goes as planned, I should be able to get to my berry patch and grapes next week.  Then maybe, just maybe, I'll start working on my flower beds.  

It's a good way to live.  








No comments:

Post a Comment