Sunday, June 16, 2019

Maybe It's Time To Build An Ark


There might have been five days without rain since the first of May.

Things are starting to get kind of scary.  Most farmers couldn't get in their fields to plant their crops until last week.  Those who farm in lowlands may not get a crop in this year because the ground is too damn wet.

The hay is now two feet tall.  It should be a hell of a harvest if we ever have enough dry days to mow it, cure it, bale it and pull it out of the fields.

And my gardens?  My potatoes, corn, cabbages and winter squash have all been planted.  Most of my chilis, tomatoes, broccoli and beans are in the ground too, but I haven't even begun to plant carrots, beets, salad greens or summer squash.  Most years, everything is in the ground no later than the first week of June.  This year I might be planting right up to the fourth of July.

Never thought I'd be hoping for a drought.  Just a mini drought, mind you, one that lasts three or four weeks so the farmers will have enough time to bring in the hay.













No comments:

Post a Comment