Sunday, June 17, 2018

I Feel A Rant Comin' On

Yesterday, I was getting ready to do the morning chores when I heard the opening notes from Starman by David Bowie.

I looked up to see what we owed this musical interlude to.  The old man was watching the World Cup, and I thought maybe the song was being used to hype a soccer player.  Alas, it was worse.  Instead of a feature on Messi or Ronaldo, it was a perfume ad for men that featured attractive young honkies diving into a rooftop swimming pool.

"Oh crap," I muttered.  "Way to go.  Ruin another good song."

Did I mention that I really dislike this commercial culture?  Besides, who puts on perfume before diving into a chlorinated swimming pool?  Stupid honkies.

It's been a few years, but I still haven't gotten over the ad that used Iggy Pop's Lust For Life to sell Carnival Cruise, or maybe it was Royal Caribbean.  For those who aren't familiar with the song, Lust For Life is about heroin addiction.  It includes references to Johnny Yen, a character from a William Burroughs novel who was described as "the boy-girl other half striptease God of sexual frustration and hypnotizing chickens".  The cruise commercial even changed a line in the song from, "Here comes Johnny Yen again with liquor and drugs" to "Here comes Johnny Yen again looking so fine."

Head bang on wall.  Talk about ruining a damn good song.

Sometimes they'll even ruin a bad song, like the ad that featured Sid Vicious' version of My Way to sell a luxury automobile.  Pretty sure Sid wasn't thinking about fancy cars when he butchered that old Sinatra standard.

So what's next?  Using Devo's Freedom Of Choice to sell tampons?















No comments:

Post a Comment